The Wall Street Journal: San Bernardino suffers deadliest U.S. shooting in three years
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — As many as three shooters stormed a holiday gathering for county employees here Wednesday, killing at least 14 people in the deadliest shooting in the U.S. in the past three years, authorities said.
The suspects were carrying long guns and “dressed and equipped in a way to indicate they were prepared,” San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said. “They came prepared to do what they did, as if they were on a mission,” he said.
A man and a woman wearing combat-style clothing were killed in a gunfight with police on a street lined with homes, police said. Officers detained a third person, but they were still trying to determine if that person was connected to the earlier shooting. A police officer also suffered non-life-threatening injuries during the shootout, and at least 17 people were injured at the holiday event, police said.
Hours after the initial shooting at about 11 a.m., the situation was still chaotic, with motives and even the number of suspects still in doubt. Police said that there had been a dispute at the holiday party that sent one person away angry, but it was unclear if that was connected to the later assault.
Families gathered at a meeting place to be reunited with loved ones were told to take cover after reports of shots being fired. County and city buildings, as well as hospitals and schools were locked down, and employees were told to shelter in place for hours — an eerie echo of a mass shooting that had unfolded just days earlier in Colorado Springs.
An extended version of this report appears at WSJ.com.