You can file your return without 1099 forms

If you received interest or dividend income, sold a stock or worked as an independent contractor, you’ll get some version of the Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 to help you complete your tax return.Bankrate’s 2010 Tax GuideTax tips and toolsHow do I … ?Filing and refundsReal estate and capital gainsFamily and educationOn the jobInvestments and retirementCharitable givingYour state taxes<< All guide content

As with W-2 wage statements, 1099 forms usually must be distributed to recipients by the end of January. This filing season Jan. 31 is on a Sunday, so the deadline shifts to the next business day, Feb. 1.

A few days shouldn’t make much difference, so if you don’t receive an expected Form 1099 in early February, contact the issuer. Perhaps the payer has an incorrect or incomplete address for you. Alert the issuer of the changes and ask for a reissued statement.Get a duplicateEven if they tell you it’s in the mail, ask for a duplicate. [Read the full article]

{loadposition in-article}

Dear Dr. Don,I have a 401(k) account with a prior employer. If I want to take a 401(k) loan out against it, can I do so, even though I am no longer employed by that company and don’t currently make contributions to it? If so, would I have to leave the money with that company until the loan is paid back? Or, can I roll over the balance into a Roth IRA account?– Colleen Convoluted

Dear Colleen,The 401(k) plan document would have to allow for this type of loan and I’m not aware of any that do. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to speak with the plan provider.

The typical 401(k) plan doesn’t allow a loan after the employee has stopped working for the employer. In fact, any outstanding loans at termination of service quickly become due — usually within 60 days. This makes sense, because the funding source for loan payments — the employee’s paycheck — has stopped.

I’m going to assume all of the money in your employer’s plan is held in a 401(k) and not a Roth 401(k) account. [Read the full article]

My upcoming book, 30-Minute Money Solutions, provides step-by-step guidance on completing 36 separate financial-planning tasks, each in a half hour or less. The book is designed to help investors who are newer in their investing careers, but it also tackles topics that are important for retirees and pre-retirees. The following, on how to build a retirement portfolio driven by your income needs, is an excerpt from the book.

The e-mails poured in throughout 2008 and continued into 2009. During the economic crisis and the worst bear market since the Great Depression, retirees were seeking hand-holding and guidance about what to do next.

There was Oscar, who was concerned about what would happen if his pension–which he had counted on for income during retirement–failed. [Read the full article]

College and university endowments suffered huge losses in the fiscal year that ended last June, a new report finds, but stronger investment returns in recent months point to a rebound.

The global economic crisis shrunk the ranks of billion-dollar endowments from 77 to 54 in a year’s time, according to a report Thursday that provides the fullest picture yet of endowment performance in the 2008-2009 fiscal year.

{loadposition in-article-cramer-large}

The value of university and college endowments fell almost 19 percent on average during that period in what report authors described as the worst decline since the Great Depression.

While the downturn hit all types of universities, elite schools such as Harvard, Yale and Stanford absorbed some of the deepest losses. [Read the full article]

You may also like...