Oprah Auctioning Contents as She Sells Chicago Penthouse
Oprah Winfrey is decluttering her real estate portfolio and her Chicago condo. The Queen of Talk has been trying to unload her Water Tower Place penthouse for $ 7.5 million. But while waiting for the 56th-floor, 9,600-square-foot spread to sell, Oprah is auctioning off some of its valuable art and antiques on April 25.
Leslie Hindman Auctioneers of Chicago is handling the sale of more than 500 lots including English, French and Continental furniture; paintings, prints, crystal, memorabilia and clothing. A Richard Miller painting that is valued between $ 80,000 and $ 120,000 is expected to attract the top bid.
Some notable items on the block:
- A George I giltwood console table.
- Jorg and Olif Dutch city bicycle.
- A Biedermeier burlwood barometer.
- Artwork by Albert Bertalan and William H. Clapp.
- Designer handbags by Chanel, Fendi, Giorgio Armani and Gucci.
- Designer shoes, sizes 40 and 41 (European) by Christian Louboutin, Chanel and Marc Jacobs.
- Couture clothing and sunglasses.
Proceeds from the sale will go to Oprah’s favorite charities, including her Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa, Stanford and Brown universities, and Spelman and Smith Colleges.
It looks as if Oprah, who has homes in California and Hawaii, is ending her love affair with Chicago. In recent years, she’s sold a couple of Lake Shore Drive condos and the West Loop campus of her Harpo Studios production company, which she recently announced she’s shutting down. Her Water Tower Place penthouse currently on sale combines four adjacent condos, according to Curbed.