England midfielder David Beckham insisted on Sunday that he will play on after the 2010 World Cup
England midfielder David Beckham insisted on Sunday that he will play on after the 2010 World Cup.
The Sun newspaper reported Saturday that the AC Milan player was planning on retiring and returning to England once the competition in South Africa is over.
But Beckham told The Associated Press: “I’ve always said I’d love to carry on playing after the World Cup and that isn’t going to change. I don’t know where the reports have come from, they definitely haven’t come from myself.”
Beckham is currently on loan at AC Milan from the Los Angeles Galaxy. The 34-year-old midfielder has started all three games since returning to San Siro for a second straight season on loan, playing all 90 minutes of Milan’s 4-0 win over Siena on Sunday.
In his first spell in Milan, Beckham scored twice in 18 appearances and such has been his impact that Milan vice president Adriano Galliani recently said he would welcome him back for a third spell.
“We will have to wait and see, Beckham said. “I will want to be playing top flight football. I have a year and a half left on my contract there (in Los Angeles) and obviously I am going back there after this, so it won’t be a problem.”
After returning to Los Angeles from Milan in 2009, Beckham met with a hostile reaction from Galaxy supporters, but won them over by helping the team to the Major League Soccer Cup final, where it lost on penalties to Real Salt Lake.
Despite the disappointment, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player still remains hopeful of helping the Galaxy to a third MLS title.
“We were successful last year, but we want to win it and that is what we will look to do this year,” Beckham said.