15 Mumford & Sons Lyrics That Would Make Awesomely Unconventional Lullabies for the New Baby
Doug Meszler / Splash News
We’ve got a Mumford & Sons baby, everybody!
After a long period of silence, Carey Mulligan finally stepped out for an appearance at the London Film Festival last night, showing the world that she was clearly baby bump-less. We’re no obstetrician, but we know enough about biology to figure out that she had her little bundle of joy. And sure enough, a source revealed that she has given birth to “a healthy and happy baby.” Yeah, girl!
But there’s still a lot we don’t know about this supposed baby. Is it a boy or a girl? How old is this baby now? Was it born with a tiny pair of suspenders and a bowler hat? We may never know, because Carey and her husband-slash-baby-daddy Marcus Mumford like to keep their private family life (gasp!) private. But we can guess! Common sense tells us that the baby is either a boy or a girl, and that it is probably a month-ish old (Mulligan missed a September engagement due to rumored baby and/or birth issues), and that it was probably born naked like most other babies.
NEWS: See Carey Mulligan’s first post-baby appearance!
There’s also a good chance that Carey and Marcus are doing all the usual things like feeding, changing, and going absolutely insane at the incessant screams of a newborn who loves to be wide awake at all the wrong hours. Stars, they’re just like us! Luckily for them, that last problem can be solved with a lullaby. And who better to sooth a cranky baby than Marcus Mumford and his gang of sultry-voiced hipsters? Nothing quiets crying like the sweet, sweet sounds of a banjo.
Plus, Mumford & Sons has many songs that are actually perfect lullabies. They may be a bit unconventional when compared to, say, “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” or whatever, but they provide lessons that kids will have to learn someday. Who knew that “Winter Winds” could both educate budding young minds and cause seemingly normal adults to two-step for no reason? We picked out the best lyrics for little baby Mumf.
1. “I will hold on hope and I won’t let you choke”
2. “We’ll be washed and buried one day my girl/ And the time we were given will be left for the world/ The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague/ So let the memories be good for those who stay”
3. “It’s empty in the valley of your heart”
4. “But if your strife strikes at your sleep/ Remember spring swaps snow for leaves/ You’ll be happy and wholesome again/ When the city clears and the sun ascends”
5. “Weep, little lion man”
CLICK: Why Meryl Streep and Carey Mulligan are our movie dream team
6. “Now learn from your mother or else spend your days biting your own neck”
7. “Lend me your hand and we’ll conquer them all”
8. “In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die/ And where you invest your love, you invest your life”
9. “And there will come a time, you’ll see, with no more tears/ And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears”
10. “Death is just so full and man so small”
11. “In the middle of the night I may watch you go”
12. “When your hope’s on fire/ But you know your desire/ Don’t hold a glass over the flame”
13. “You may call it in this evening/ But you’ve only lost the night/ Preset all your pretty feelings/ May they comfort you tonight”
14. “So f–k your dreams/ And don’t you pick at our seams”
15. “Hold onto what you believe in the light/ When the darkness has robbed you of all your sight”
PHOTOS: Carey Mulligan’s road to romance